Over 500 employees are engaged in research, design and development activities of the Company and its subsidiary and affiliated companies, including 8 doctors of science and 54 candidates of science. There is a Research and Design Institute (IHT LLP) under the Company, and research and production subdivisions of its affiliated companies (Central Research and Development Laboratory under Ulba Metallurgical Plant JSC (UMP); Central Experimental and Methodological Expedition under Volkovgeology JSC).
Kazatomprom and subsidiaries are patent owners and co-owners of over 300 protection documents on developed technologies and equipment. With regard to this indicator it ranks 1st in the Republic among industrial enterprises.
To maintain global competitiveness, the Company developed the "Science and Technology Management" Policy, according to which scientific research is coordinated by four research centers on the following priority areas:
1) Geology, geotechnology and mining-development works - on the basis of Volkovgeology JSC;
2) Production and processing of pregnant solutions, associated extraction of REM - on the basis of Institute of High Technologies LLP;
3) NFC high technologies, extraction and processing of RM - on the basis of Central Research and Development Laboratory under UMP JSC;
4) Knowledge management, commercialization of intellectual property, general coordination of scientific and technical activities - on the basis of Science Coordination Department of Kazatomprom.
The following projects have been introduced recently:
- A mobile complex for processing of uranium pregnant solutions with a capacity of 150 tons of uranium per year was put into operation for experimental development of Zhalpak field. The use of the mobile complex has significantly reduced the capital costs for trial operation and reduced the cost of production by 15%. The mobile uranium-mining complex was created by the Company's specialists and is protected by innovative patents of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- A mobile unit was developed and introduced into production for carrying out chemical processing directly on the filter part of the wells and on conducting repair and renewal operations. The mobile unit will create safe conditions for pumping, preparing and supplying various types of chemical solutions of reagents – decolmatants directly into the filter part of process wells, reducing their costs (and the cost of repair and renewal works respectively), due to the targeted use of reagents, and its uniqueness and mobility will increase the number of wells being processed per day and increase the effectiveness of repair and renewal operations.
The following projects are being developed and will be introduced in the near and medium term:
- Development, testing and implementation of ultra sound based high-speed uranium sorption technology.
- Development, testing and implementation of effective ultrasonic desorption of uranium using available chemical reagents.
- Development, testing and implementation of effective technology of rich eluate nanofiltration.
- Low-acid leaching using a complex of special reagents.
- Concentration of uranium using membrane filtration and centrifugal extraction technologies.
- Optimization of technology and introduction of new technical solutions in the processes of deposition and extraction of U3O8.
- Development and implementation of design of gravel liners and bento-liners for ISR process wells.
- Development of design of universal slotted filters with sprinkling in the casing.
- Development of methods for opening the ore zone using highly aerated drilling fluids.
- Development and implementation of drilling rigs with drilling machines of modular type, for exploration and prospecting drilling at various fields.
In order to expand the range of products based on the unique rare metals produced at UMP JSC, research has been conducted and pilot batches of new competitive and high-tech products on a global scale have been obtained:
- medical implants from tantalum and tantalum-containing alloys;
- superconducting wire for the production of magnetic resonance tomographs.